IEC 50529 applies to the classification of protection provided by enclosures for electrical equipment with a rated voltage not exceeding 72.5kV.While this system is suitable for use with most type sof electrical equipment, the manufacturer of the equipment should still be consulted to determine the degree of protection available and the parts of equipment to which the stated degree of protection applies.
The purpose of IEC 50529 is to give:
- Definitions for degrees of protection provided by enclosures of electrical equipment as regards:
- protection of persons against access to hazardous parts inside the enclosure;
- protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects;
- protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful effects due to the ingress of water.
- Designations for these degrees of protection.
- Requirements for each designation.
- Tests to be performed to verify that the enclosure meets the requirements of this standard.
Here is a handy reference for IP Ratings.